FAIR HOUSING PROGRAM
GALLIA COUNTY COURTHOUSE
18 LOCUST STREET, ROOM 1292
GALLIPOLIS, OHIO 45631
(740) 446-4612 EXT. 232
8:00 A.M. TO 4:00 P.M.
Monday through Friday
WHAT IS IT?
The Gallia County Fair Housing program for residents of Gallia County is a program funded by a Community Development Block Grant from the Gallia County Commissioners through funds made available by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It's goals are:
1. To assure full housing opportunity for all home-seekers in Gallia County.
2. To alleviate discriminatory housing practices within the County.
3. To strengthen and maintain Fair Housing opportunities in all areas of the County.
4. To encourage and assist in the vigorous enforcement of Fair Housing Laws.
5. To achieve full public awareness of individual's housing rights.
WHAT ARE ITS OBJECTIVES?
The Gallia County Fair Housing program seeks to:
1. Assist residents and prospective residents of Gallia County who experience difficulty in securing housing of their choice because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, national origin, or familial status.
2. Help local officials, citizens and members of the Real Estate, housing and lending institutions to become more sensitive to discrimination patterns in housing and more aware of the legal, social and economic implications of these patterns locally and county-wide.
3. Inform all citizens of their housing rights and responsibilities.
4. Assist individuals in exercising their housing rights.
HOW DOES IT ACHIEVE ITS OBJECTIVES?
The Gallia County Commissioners staff employ the following methods:
1. Issues information, reports and brochures in an effort to acquaint the public with Fair Housing and the Agency's role in it.
2. Provides monitoring information involving sale, rental and lending practices throughout the County.
3. Provides information regarding legal assistance to persons whose housing rights are jeopardized.
WHO CAN USE THESE SERVICES?
Any person in Gallia County seeking housing or housing information or anyone who feels his/her housing rights are being threatened may use the Gallia County services. In addition, corporations, private businesses, colleges, community groups, and other institutions within the County are encouraged to use it.
WHAT CAN GALLIA COUNTY FAIR HOUSING DO FOR YOU?
It can provide:
1. Full information on your legal rights pertaining to housing opportunity.
2. Individual counseling on particular problems relating to housing opportunity.
WHERE CAN MORE INFORMATION BE OBTAINED?
Call Gallia County Fair Housing at (740) 446-4612 EXT. 232, or visit the Gallia County Commissioner's Office in the Gallia County Courthouse.
TITLE VIII OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1968, AND THE OHIO REVISED CODE MAKE THE FOLLOWING KINDS OF ACTION UNLAWFUL WHEN DONE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, HANDICAP, NATIONAL ORIGIN OR FAMILIAL STATUS:
• REFUSAL TO DEAL
• DISCRIMINATION IN TERMS, CONDITIONS AND PRIVILEGES
• DISCRIMINATORY OR PREFERENTIAL ADVERTISING
• FALSE REPRESENTATION
• DISCRIMINATION IN FINANCING
• DISCRIMINATION IN MEMBERSHIP IN MULTIPLE-LISTING SERVICES AND REAL ESTATE BROKERS ORGANIZATIONS